Pages

Saturday, January 26, 2013

BBQ Chicken Pizza

I love flipping through cookbooks.  Everytime I get a new one I sit and pour over each page and Post-it all the recipes I want to try.  Usually, there ends up being about 50 Post-its sticking out of the top of the cookbook.  For Christmas my husband got me the recently published cookbook from one of the food blogs I follow faithfully, Our Family Favorites.  I'd seen this recipe on their website, but seeing it in the cookbook was the push I needed to give it a try.  I made a few tiny changes and it was so tasty and such a fun, different taste to your everday tomato based pizza sauce.  Yum! 

For some reason, when I made it, there was plenty of sauce left over.  I poured the extra in a container and popped it in the freezer.  I can't wait to eat this again next month!





BBQ Chicken Pizza



Ingredients:
1 pizza crust (I just bought one from the grocery store)

Sauce:
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
olive oil
1 small can tomato paste
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 tomato, finely chopped
2 tsp basil
2 tsp oregano
salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1 Cup BBQ sauce

Toppings:
2-3 cups mixed cheddar and mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 chicken breasts, grilled in BBQ sauce, then cut into bite size pieces
handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup, red onion chopped

Directions:

Roll pizza dough onto a pizza stone.  

Make the sauce:  In a medium saucepan, brown garlic in a little olive oil.  Add remaining sauce ingredients, except BBQ sauce and simmer for about 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and add BBQ sauce. 

Spread sauce evenly onto the pizza dough.  Top with cheese, chicken, onion and more cheese.  Bake at 400º for about 18 minutes.  

Remove from oven and top with grilled chicken pieces and fresh cilantro. 


No comments:

Post a Comment